All Images Are Copyright Protected

Please respect that any posted images are copyright protected. Please feel free to contact me directly for possible permission to use images from my blog.

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Glaucous Gull in Scarborough

We have not ventured out at 6:30am in the morning on a Sunday, to see the sunrise, for quite a long time. It was not the ordeal it is now, when we lived 7 mins walk from the lake in Whitby. Now, it's about a 15 min drive south from our condo building in Scarborough. But, still, it's ok. We just cannot whip down on a quick whim like we used to be able to. We had to set the alarm to go off on a Sunday, lol, and then get up in time to drive there to make it. It was worth it, though we did miss the spectacular soft pink beginning glow of it, which we spotted from our car windows as we headed down there.

The highlight was an odd gull I spotted as I was watching a small group of seagulls in the little sheltered area on the beach which is east of the actual Scarborough Bluffs area, east of the marina. I was taking his photo because I liked the light and the water ripples around him when I realized he had a white tail, no black. I immediately flipped my gaze to his beak because I knew if he had a different mark, he was not the usual ring billed gull. Well, he wasn't. He had a little spot on his lower bill, kind of like what you see marking a Jamaican patty for being spicy. The red spot on some gulls, it has always reminded me of those.

I got 2 shots then he took off to the east, possibly to show up at Whitby Harbour a bit later.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your comments. it will show once it is approved.