All Images Are Copyright Protected

Please respect that any posted images are copyright protected. Please feel free to contact me directly for possible permission to use images from my blog.

Saturday 8 June 2013

Whip-poor-wills - I Miss that Sound

Recently, I ran across an article online about Whip-poor-will decline in Ontario and that they are being watched and reports are being requested.

In the late 80s, early 90s, my ex-inlaw's had a cottage on an island in Havelock, Ontario. At night or maybe early morning, I'd lay awake listening to the unique moody sound of this bird. At that time, I had no idea what one looked like. I imagined walking out into the pitch black and coming upon what I imagined would be a tall crane like bird. There was no internet in those days so I couldn't just Google images lol! It would mean going to the library and looking it up - I was there all the time but I guess never thought of doing that.

Needless to say, I have since in the last 2 years, discovered that they are small tree perching birds and actually look similar to a largish Brown Creeper and Pheasant mix to me.

I miss hearing that sound, it's been almost 20 years. Others at the cottage complained that the sound was intrusive in the night but I loved it. I heard it a couple years in a row then one year, never heard it again.

Here is the link for the website that is asking for assistance for this project.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your comments. it will show once it is approved.